Thursday, August 1, 2019

2020 2nd Democratic Debate - Word Cloud

I blame it on my wife.

After the first night of the second round of 2020 Democratic primary debates, she asked me, "I wonder if anyone has done a word cloud for the candidates?" That got me thinking. Which got me doing. Which got me wasting way more time than necessary.

Below is my word cloud analysis of the first night debate. I used WorditOut as my tool of choice, and narrowed the clouds down to words repeated at least five times in the debate transcript.

Please note that word clouds are illustrative only at a high level. These pictures remove all the nuance of the speakers words as well as their speaking style, combativeness, humor, and occasionally dropped zinger. Having said that, most of the clouds are not terribly surprising. Buzzwords, such as "people", "country," "going (e.g. "we are GOING to do this or that), "about (e.g. the problem is ABOUT the one percenters)," and "donaldtrump" come up over and over. However, some of the data took me off guard. I did not expect Mayor Pete's most common word to be "president". And I did not expect Marianne Williamson's cloud to look so, well, normal. I leave further analysis as an exercise for the reader.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZE

No comments:

Post a Comment